Build your foundation for a career as a baccalaureate-prepared professional Nurse.
Duration: 8 weeks
As a registered nurse, you’ve committed to a career of caring for others. Now you’ve made the decision to earn your Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. In one of your very first courses, NUR 311 Socialization to Professional Nursing, you’ll review core competencies in the nursing profession from the Institute of Medicine. You’ll examine roles on a health care team, emphasizing the importance of patient-centered care, inter-professional collaboration and teamwork and evidence-based practice.
A key responsibility of a nurse is to communicate well. In this course, you’ll improve your written, verbal and non-verbal communication methods and develop your scholarly writing skills. You’ll also see how to apply concepts of patient-centered care to professional practice.
This designated writing-intensive course features a “Writer’s Workshop,” four written assignments that are assessed to help you strengthen your writing skills and reinforce APA formatting to structure, cite and reference sources.
You’ll examine evidence-based practice, the use of the best evidence currently available to make decisions about patient care, as you compare and contrast the research practice that will improve your ability to find evidence in nursing research sources. You’ll look at the ethical and legal rules nurses face daily and come to understand registered nursing licensure and states’ Nurse Practice Acts in professional practice.
Recall a “hard conversation” you’ve had with a patient or co-worker. What made it so difficult? What did you find helpful?
Discuss this and more in NUR 311.
As you begin to focus on inter-professional teams in health care settings, you’ll consider positive and negative team interactions and describe benefits and challenges involved with virtual team work. As you evaluate the various responsibilities and roles of a health care team, you’ll identify ways that patient outcomes are impacted by inter-professional collaboration. You’ll examine quality improvement methods to discover how teams work together to improve patient care outcomes.
You’ll be introduced to informatics, and analyze how technology is used to prevent errors and improve care.
Throughout this course, you’ll focus on core topics or themes. Sample topics are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- :: Development of the Profession
- :: Success in Nursing Education
- :: Scholarly Writing
- :: Professional Nursing Education and Regulations
- :: Art and Science of Nursing
- :: Patient-Centered Care and Safety
- :: Nursing Research
- :: Evidence-Based Practice
- :: Ethical and Legal Issues in Nursing
- :: Health Promotion
- :: Health Care Delivery Systems
- :: Inter-professional Collaboration
- :: Professional Nursing: The Present and Future
Learning Outcomes: Your Top 5 Takeaways
You’ll gain insight into the past, present and future of nursing in NUR 311.
- Comprehend current professional, sociopolitical, ethical and legal factors impacting the nursing profession.
- Assess the impact of evidence-based practice on professional nursing practice.
- Compare and contrast factors influencing the effectiveness of inter-professional teamwork in health care.
- Recognize conditions that contribute to a culture of safety and caring in professional nursing practice.
- Evaluate the impact of informatics on nursing.
In NUR 311 Socialization to Professional Nursing, you’ll examine all aspects of the nursing profession, including an overview of nursing roles, theories, and professional practice. For more information about this course or other courses in Utica College’s online RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN) degree, request more information or call us at 315.732.2640 or toll-free 866.295.3106.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.