Learn to analyze information to solve problems.
Never before in history have we been able to collect and access so much information about our fellow humans. The ability to distill meaning from that data can propel positive change in people’s lives. The online Master’s in Data Science (MS DS) shows you how to analyze and leverage big data to gain valuable insights that can lead to innovative ideas and solutions in a variety of fields. While many institutions offer programs in data science, the UC program offers a distinct focus on social data which encourages students to understand the impact of their analysis within an organizational and societal context.
This online data science program addresses a growing need for professionals with strong analytical skills and expertise in research methods who help organizations analyze data and apply findings for meaningful change. Such analyses can have a significant effect on how businesses, healthcare organizations, educational institutions, and government agencies approach strategy and policymaking.
Coursework Designed to be Put Into Practice
Core courses in the online data science master’s at Utica College emphasize research design and critical evaluation of data using theoretical models, as well as the social process of making decisions and implementing solutions based on data. You will also gain an understanding of the limits of data, legal and privacy issues, and ethical and socially responsible practices.
The Master’s in Data Science program offers these specializations.
- :: Social Science Analytics: This specialization focuses on the application of data science to social science research and policy development. You will develop an understanding of complex organizations and bureaucracy, social trends, poll data and voter information, and research design in this area.
- :: Business Analytics: Explore how data science is applied to business management and decision-making. Learn how to use demographic trends, census information, and other databases to predict market and workforce developments and manage risk.
- :: Cybersecurity: Designed for students who want to apply their data science knowledge and skills in state-of-the-art cybersecurity and computer forensic practices with coursework on leadership and planning adapted specifically to the cyberspace realm. This specialization enables students to take classes in the Cybersecurity MS program.
- :: Financial Crime: Designed for students who want to apply their data science knowledge and skills to advance their competencies in managing corporate and advanced technological resources devoted to combating economic crime. This specialization enables students to take classes in the Financial Crime and Compliance Management MS program.
- :: General: Students also have the option to build their own specialization focus by selecting any four 3-credit graduate level courses available with approval from the Program Director.
To ensure the data science curriculum meets the needs of employers, it was developed in collaboration with the regional Data Analytics Consortium, a fact that helps Utica College’s MS in Data Science stand out among other data science graduate programs. The Consortium is represented by many of the largest employers in central New York State, including Utica National Insurance, BNY Mellon and Excellus Blue Cross and Blue Shield.
Data Science: An Emerging Field
Technology allows for new ways to collect and analyze large amounts of information. While data analytics as a job in itself is fairly new, it is growing: The Harvard Business Review described “data scientist” one of the sexiest careers of the 21st century.1
Positions requiring data analysis skill sets are available in a wide variety of fields, including business, finance, education and healthcare. Any organization that wishes to take advantage of information relating to markets, consumer trends, demographic shifts and other large digital data sets will need analysts with the data science skills to help them derive meaning and insight from the data.
Other Features of Utica College’s Online Data Science Master’s Degree
Discover key factors that differentiate the online MS in Data Science:
- :: A 100 percent online format that allows you to balance coursework with your professional and personal life.
- :: No residency.
- :: Competitively priced tuition.
- :: A faculty of expert practitioners with decades of industry experience.
- :: A capstone project involving independent research and data analysis.
- :: No GRE or GMAT required.
Online Data Science Master’s Admission Requirements
To apply for admission, you must have
- :: earned a bachelor’s degree or the international equivalent
- :: a minimum GPA of 3.0
Help organizations address issues and design effective solutions using actionable insights gleaned from dynamic information assets — skills made possible with your online Master’s in Data Science from Utica College. Request more information or call us at 315.732.2640 or toll-free at 866.295.3106 to learn more.