Gregory Fulkerson, Ph.D. focuses on issues related to globalization, rurality, community, agriculture, and the environment. His current research investigates the local and global processes leading to environmental degradation and the social response to these problems, particularly in relation to urban-rural processes.
Dr. Fulkerson has extensive expertise in quantitative statistics, qualitative and textual analysis, and big data techniques employing Excel, IBM SPSS Statistics, IBM SPSS Modeler, SAS, PSPP, R, RapidMiner, Atlas Ti, Trackur, InsightMaker, and AMOS analysis software packages. He has published research in several peer-reviewed academic journals, authored books, and edited book volumes.
Dr. Fulkerson is also an Associate Professor of Sociology at the State University of New York at Oneonta and has been a member of the Rural Sociological Society since 2002, serving as Program Chair in 2015.
Dr. Fulkerson has won the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Scholarship and the Scholar of the Year Award in the School of Social Sciences at SUNY Oneonta (2016). He currently serves as co-editor and author for a book series with Lexington Books, called Studies in Urban-Rural Dynamics.
Honors and Distinctions
- Outstanding Service Award, Rural Sociological Society
- More than 16 years of sociology teaching experience
- B.A. in Sociology from Michigan State University
- M.A. in Sociology from Western Michigan University
- Ph.D. in Sociology from North Carolina State University
- Fulkerson, G.M. and Thomas, A.R. (2016). Reimagining Rural: Urbanormative Portrayals of Rural Life. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books.
- Fulkerson, G.M. and Thomas, A.R. (2016). Reinventing Rural: New Realities in an Urbanizing World. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books.
- Fulkerson, G.M. and Thomas, A.R. (2016). Urbanormativity and the spatial demography of suburbia: a response to Meyer and Graybill. Urban Geography, 38(2). 164-169.
- Fulkerson, G.M. and Thomas, A.R. (2013). Studies in Urbanormativity: Rural Community in Urban Society. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books.
- Fulkerson, G.M., Thomas, A.R., Lowe, B.M., and Smith, P.J. (2011). Critical Rural Theory: Structure, Space, Culture. Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books.