James C. Brown, Ed.D., is an assistant professor of criminal justice in the School of Business & Justice Studies. Dr. Brown joined the full-time faculty in January 2014 as a Professor of Practice after serving in multiple senior administrative roles at Utica College starting in 2005.
Most recently, Dr. Brown served as the Vice President for the School of Online & Extended Studies and as an adjunct instructor in the School of Arts and Sciences and School of Business and Justice Studies at Utica College. Dr. Brown has also served as Assistant Vice President for Marketing & Communications, Assistant Vice President for Academic Affairs, Dean of the School of Graduate and Extended Studies, and Vice President for Strategic Initiatives.
Beyond Utica College, Dr. Brown has worked for more than 16 years as a police officer, leader, and administrator—including as Oneida County's first and youngest-ever Chief Deputy of Operations with the Oneida County Sheriff's Office and Commissioner/Member of the New Hartford Police Commission.
Dr. Brown resides in New Hartford, N.Y., with his wife and three children.
Honors and Distinctions
- 20+ years of service as a police officer, administrator, commander, and commissioner
- Fellow, Criminal Justice Educators Association of New York State
- Member, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Member, Northeastern Association of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Member, American Society of Public Administration
- Member, International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- Member, New York State Association of Chiefs of Police (NYSACOP)
- Associate Member, United States Marine Corps League
- B.S. in Criminal Justice from Utica College
- M.A. in Public Administration from Sage Graduate School
- Ed.D. in Educational Leadership from University of Phoenix School of Advanced Studies
- "The Corr of the American Criminal Justice System: Lessons and the Anatomy of an American Tragedy," January 11, 2017, https://he.kendallhunt.com/product/corr-american-criminal-justice-system-lessons-and-anatomy-american-tragedy#
- "Command Transitions in Public Administration," February 10, 2016, https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319278438
- "Full and Part Time Employee Stress and Job Satisfaction at Two Upstate New York Colleges," (Doctoral dissertation), June 25, 2007, http://www.utica.edu/faculty_staff/jbrown/James%20C.%20Brown,%20Ed.D.%20-%20Dissertation.pdf