Acquire the essential skillset for nurse management and leadership.
Duration: 8 weeks
In NUR 312 Leadership and Informatics, you’ll discover the differences between nursing leadership and nursing management as you explore the impact of informatics and technology on nursing, patient care and health care delivery.
In this course, you’ll develop effective communication, leadership and teamwork characteristics as you come to understand the many ways in which nurses function as leaders in clinical, educational, political, and community settings. You’ll appreciate the impact technology has on health care and nursing leadership. As you consider the qualities and skills that provide the foundation for the development of an individual aspiring to be a nurse leader, you’ll examine the need to break down the barriers of the past that have prevented nurses from being able to provide autonomous and accountable patient care.
Imagine that you are the designated Privacy Officer in a health care institution. What types of monitoring procedures would you develop? What would you include in your sanctions for violations policy? You’ll research and answer these questions and others in a written paper.
You’ll learn the different styles of contemporary leadership as you evaluate the interrelationship among leadership, excellence, and professional involvement. General and cultural factors can influence communication in the work place and you’ll identify those factors along with sources of generational conflict. While comparing and contrasting conflict resolution models, you’ll examine planned change theories and how they relate to nursing. You’ll also evaluate the process of recruiting and retaining top quality staff.
Technology in the form of informatics has changed the profession of nursing. You’ll explore nursing informatics metastructures, concepts and tools, as well as the evolving roles and competencies of nursing informatics practice. You’ll see how health care ethics can be challenged by the onslaught of information shared in a variety of forums. To that end, you’ll explore processes for securing information in a computer network and methods that can prevent typical threats to network security.
Learning Exercise Example
In a group assignment, you and your team will be assigned a leadership scenario in a health care practice setting. You identify the leadership issues, analyze the situation, and provide a solution in a PowerPoint presentation and discussion.
As you explore the benefits of implementing an electronic health record (EHR) system, you’ll look at future approaches to technology-supported consumer health information. You’ll also evaluate the current technology used in your work setting and consider how it could be improved.
Throughout this course, you’ll focus on core topics or themes. Sample topics are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- :: Defining Leadership; Leadership vs. Management
- :: Types of Leaders and Leadership Styles
- :: Impact of Culture on Leadership Roles
- :: Developing as a Leader
- :: Defining Nursing Informatics
- :: Ethics and Informatics
- :: Uses of Informatics: Informatics in the Clinical Setting and the Community
- :: Nursing Research, Nursing Education and the Use of Nursing Informatics
Learning Outcomes: Your Top 10 Takeaways
You’ll gain insight into taking on leadership roles in nursing in NUR 312.
- Define leadership characteristics in professional nursing.
- Compare the concepts of leadership and management.
- Critique styles of leadership, including behaviors, skills and strategies.
- Discuss the concepts of delegation and “followership” as it relates to leadership.
- Describe leadership roles in various nurse practice settings.
- Apply leadership concepts to health care practice scenarios.
- Explain how delivery of care of models affects practice.
- Analyze how culture influences nursing leadership and practice.
- Describe how nurses lead inter-professional teams.
- Describe the impact and challenges of informatics used in patient care.
In NUR 312, you’ll explore how nurses lead professionally. For more information about this course or other courses in Utica College’s online RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN) degree, request more information or call us at 315.732.2640 or toll-free 866.295.3106.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.