Use what you have learned to tackle a real-world problem for a client.
Duration: 8 weeks
Utica College’s Master of Business Administration degree culminates in two capstone courses. Throughout each, you gain experience leveraging your new skills as you solve a real-world client challenge. In this first capstone course, BUS 679, MBA Project Proposal, you’ll lay the groundwork for the professional project and prepare for the written consultation report completed in BUS 689.
The ultimate deliverable of this two-course capstone experience is a 20-minute formal presentation that details your recommended solution to a real company’s challenge. During these courses, you’ll apply consulting skills organized around the typical phases of an organization’s engagement strategy:
- :: Problem definition
- :: Problem structuring
- :: Data gathering and analysis
- :: Recommendations development
- :: Presentation
In this course, BUS 679, you begin by developing an opening introduction to a potential client to fulfill a service or need to their organization, and then a consulting contract for your employment with them as an independent contractor. The agreement shall be legal and binding by all parties and should specify the tasks each party is responsible for.
Once your client’s problem has been defined, you’ll conduct a literature and applicable theory review, including a listing of your main references with a brief (one paragraph) discussion of the general findings and/or theory of the source. You’ll then discuss how your project is designed, and what methods you are using to collect and analyze your data.
Once your proposal’s been approved, you’ll be poised to create your professional presentation for BUS 689.
Throughout this course, you’ll focus on core topics or themes. Sample topics are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- :: Course Introduction and Expectations
- :: Reviewing the Literature and Applicable Theory
- :: Research Design and Methodology
- :: Compiling a Final Project Proposal
Learning Outcomes: Your Top 4 Takeaways
In BUS 679, you’ll conduct the appropriate research and complete the necessary steps to define your solutions and complete your final presentation in BUS 689, Project Execution.
- Define an appropriate business consulting project that meets degree requirements and which is of value to an organization.
- Receive proposal approval from the instructor for meeting the appropriate standards of academic integrity and quality for a master’s research project.
- Demonstrate the application of your new skills by evaluating the business problem and designing solutions for future action.
- Use executive-level business writing to present information in a persuasive context and support a proposed course of action.
Act as a consultant to a real organization in BUS 679, MBA Project Proposal. This course focuses on the preparatory stages of this program’s capstone project, and prepares you for its final presentation. For more information about this course or other courses in Utica College’s online Master of Business Administration degree, request more information or call us at 315.732.2640 or toll-free 866.295.3106.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.