Demonstrate your ability to analyze strategy.
Duration: 8 weeks
BUS 652, Strategy II builds on concepts and skills reviewed in BUS 651. Throughout this course, you’ll continue to focus on in-depth case study analysis to gain a better understanding of how strategy drives organizational success.
Continuing the focus on the concept of competitive advantage you began in BUS 651, you’ll consider how it functions in mature industries. You’ll evaluate the characteristics of declining industries, and the corporate and business strategy options they can use to become competitive again and revive profitability. In addition, internationalization and diversification have impacted business and the strategies employed to manage them. Using the tools of industry analysis, you’ll consider what forces have driven this shift and how organizational structures and management systems affect the pursuit of international strategies.
You’ll work on a team to prepare an in-depth case presentation video based on a real business scenario. In presenting your video to the class, your team will function as experts on the case and must be able to defend positions and arguments when questioned by peers.
External events such as mergers and acquisitions can stimulate and guide strategic change. When they’re undertaken to increase an organization’s growth, these techniques can be very successful, but they may also result in an over-leveraged, under-resourced company. A few large corporations have built their reputation in one industry, and then branched out over time to acquire a diverse portfolio of businesses in wide-ranging fields under their corporate umbrellas. You’ll examine companies such as General Electric to gain an understanding of the complex nature of these mega-corporations.
Learning Exercise Example
You’ll undertake case study analysis throughout this course, examining challenges faced by existing companies such as Tesla, Eastman Kodak, Virgin Group and General Electric.
Throughout this course, you’ll focus on core topics or themes. Sample topics are listed below and are subject to change based on the instructor.
- :: Competitive Advantage, Vertical Integration and the Scope of the Firm
- :: Corporate and Diversification Strategy
- :: Managing a Multi-Business Firm and External Growth Strategies
- :: The Big Picture, Wrapping Up and Moving Forward
Learning Outcomes: Your Top 6 Takeaways
Through this course, you’ll gain skills in devising and employing both corporate and business strategy.
- Recognize the main structural features of an industry and understand how they impact the intensity of competition and the overall level of profitability in the industry.
- Create strategies that position the firm most favorably in relation to competition and influence industry structure in order to enhance industry attractiveness.
- Examine how strategic planning links to operational planning, performance management, and resource allocation in implementing strategy.
- Evaluate corporate strategy decisions using basic techniques of portfolio analysis.
BUS 652, Strategy II, gives you an opportunity to showcase your knowledge and understanding of business strategy. For more information about this course or other courses in Utica College’s online Master of Business Administration degree, request more information or call us at 315.732.2640 or toll-free 866.295.3106.
The content presented on this page is representative information for example purposes and is subject to change as course and student needs change over time.