Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA): Career Outlook
Lead health care organizations to an efficient and effective future.
Whether you’re looking for a new career in health care or want to advance your current position, Utica University’s Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) online program will give you the education, training, and experience necessary to obtain management and executive-level positions in health care administration.
- IN 2019, THE TOP 10% OF HEALTH CARE ADMINISTRATORS EARNED $189,000 ANNUALLY1
- 32% JOB GROWTH PROJECTED FROM 2019 TO 20291
- HEALTH CARE ADMINISTRATORS WITH MASTER’S DEGREES EARN 9% MORE THAN THOSE WITH BACHELOR’S DEGREES2
Earning your MHA online will prepare you to oversee the administrative aspects of a health care organization, liaise with insurance companies, stakeholders, and the community. You’ll also assist in the transition to paperless records, respond agilely to changing laws and regulations, advocate for patients, and recruit employees. In other words, you’ll graduate ready to work as a versatile health care services manager.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), health care administration positions are projected to increase at a rate of 32 percent from 2019 through 2029 due to an aging population and diversification in the industry.1 While the hospital sector will have the largest employment base, it is projected to grow more slowly due to the proliferation of clinics and outpatient care.
Fortunately, there is a growing need for qualified health care administrators in other sectors of the medical field, including emergency preparedness. Our core MHA courses are designed to provide the skills you need to excel in a variety of health care settings.
As a health care administrator, you could earn more than $100,980 on average and take advantage of 555,500 job opportunities by 2029.1 You’ll be qualified for specific roles such as:
ANCILLARY SERVICES DIRECTOR
Ancillary services directors are responsible for the oversight of multiple services/departments within an acute care facility. They are involved in strategy, business operations, fiscal/budgetary management, human resource management, regulatory compliance, and more.3
CLINICAL PROJECT MANAGER
Clinical project managers are responsible for planning and scoping projects, tracking project metrics, and developing and implementing project milestones. This can be in the context of clinical trials or other projects within a variety of service organization settings, including government, insurance, corporate, or research agencies.4
NURSING HOME ADMINISTRATOR
Nursing home administrators are responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of nursing homes. They manage and develop staff, budget and utilize operational resources, ensure compliance and professional standards are upheld, and more.5
- Direct Care Coordinator
- Informatics Director
- Compliance Officer
- Research Director
- Director of Nursing Services
- Facilities Manager
- Marketing Director
Request More Information
We’d love to get to know you and hear more about your educational and professional goals. If you’d like to learn more about one of our programs, fill out this form and we’ll be in touch:
Note: All fields required.
Key Skills Employers Need
- Identify, articulate, and exhibit leadership attributes in professional work forums
- Apply systems-thinking applications in personal, team, and health care organization settings
- Apply best practices in critical-thinking application and creativity in guiding applied research in health care organizations
- Interpret and master project management design, development, and evaluation strategies in project work
- Identify and discern stakeholder interests in competitive and collaborative health care initiatives
Beyond the Degree
We have the tools to help you make your next career move:
Work with your program director and professors for professional mentorship and support.
Job Search Assistance
Build your résumé, do mock interviews, and find new opportunities in your area.
Have our experts review your résumé and LinkedIn and learn to stand out from the crowd.
Register for events, create a visual profile for employers, and apply for jobs and internships through our online portal.
- Medical and Health Services Managers. (Sept. 1, 2020). Retrieved Sept. 8, 2020, from U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: https://www.bls.gov/ooh/management/medical-and-health-services-managers.htm
- Master’s in Health Care Administration Career Outlook. (2018). Burning Glass Labor Insights. Retrieved Dec. 3, 2018, from https://www.burning-glass.com/products/labor-insight/
- Average Director of Ancillary Services Salary. (2020). PayScale. Retrieved Sept. 8, 2020, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Director_of_Ancillary_Services/Salary
- Average Clinical Project Manager Salary. (2020). PayScale. Retrieved Sept. 8, 2020, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Clinical_Project_Manager/Salary
- Average Nursing Home Administrator Salary. (2020). PayScale. Retrieved Sept. 8, 2020, from https://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Nursing_Home_Administrator/Salary