Protect Companies and Citizens from Financial Crimes and Fraud
The career path for a licensed CPA with a master’s in forensic accounting is extensive. Your skill set is in great demand as billions of dollars are stolen every year in personal and occupational fraud.
Your master’s in forensic accounting prepares you for a variety of careers in accounting and law firms, as well as corporate security and law enforcement agencies, financial institutions, and the government. Many businesses also have a strong focus on financial forensics — the U.S. and Canada report 46% of the world’s occupational fraud cases. Most of those cases are a result of corruption, asset misappropriation, and financial-statement fraud2 — subjects that your master’s in forensic accounting expertly prepares you to work within.
- 3 million adults have been the victim of personal financial fraud1
- $3.2 billion is lost in personal financial fraud1
- $3.6 billion is lost in occupational financial fraud2
Get Career Certifications
The online M.S. in Forensic Accounting degree prepares you for CPA licensure — a top credential in any accounting role, but one that’s looked for to prove your abilities as a subject matter expert to testify in criminal cases.
Completing FCM coursework throughout the program helps prepare you for two additional financial forensic certifications, the Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) and the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE).
Through Utica’s unique partnership with ACAMS, you’ll start your forensic accounting career off right. You’ll receive a free student membership to have access to exclusive industry content, training, and support in advancing your career. You’ll also qualify to take the CAMS exam at a significant discount. If you’re already a member, you’ll receive a 10% tuition discount and waived application fee.
Forensic Accountant — 5-9 years of experience
As a forensic accountant, you’ll investigate and analyze financial evidence, assist in legal proceedings, and may serve as an expert witness in courtroom settings. You work to solve white-collar crimes such as money laundering, fraudulent insurance claims, embezzlement, and hidden assets.3
Internal Auditing Manager With Fraud Investigation Skills
As an internal audit manager, you’ll rely on your investigation skills to perform routine, but complex audits relating to compliance, operations, and the finances of a company to ensure all financial activities are legal. You’ll be relied on to dig deeper if suspicious activity is reported, or found during a routine audit.4
More Forensic Accounting Careers
- Forensic Accounting Manager
- Operational Risk Consultant
- Anti-Money Laundering Specialist
- Fraud Investigator
- Financial Forensic Analyst
- Senior Forensic Consultant
- Internal Audit Director
Request More Information
We’d love to get to know you and hear more about your educational and professional goals. If you’d like to learn more about one of our programs, fill out this form and we’ll be in touch:
Note: All fields required.
Graduate with Key Skills Needed for a Forensic Accounting Career
- Make sound decisions with your understanding of the ethical and legal environment of forensic situations
- Detect fraudulent and misleading financial reporting and uncover financial crimes by analyzing business transactions
- Apply legal, financial, and forensic techniques in specific settings including fraud, bankruptcy, digital forensics, financial statement misrepresentation, damages, and valuation
- Understand the techniques and models used for valuation, income reconstruction, and damage calculations
- Detect accounting fraud using data technology to analyze financial and textual data
- Evaluate and design solutions for complex accounting cases using the FASB Accounting Standards Codification
- Perform forensic audits
Beyond the Degree
We have the tools to help you make your next career move:
Work with your program director and professors for professional mentorship and support.
Job Search Assistance
Build your résumé, do mock interviews, and find new opportunities in your area.
Have our experts review your résumé and LinkedIn and learn to stand out from the crowd.
Register for events, create a visual profile for employers, and apply for jobs and internships through our online portal.