As an online student with Utica College, you have access to a long list of technology services and benefits:
- Free access to Microsoft Office.
- Unlimited email storage, unlimited cloud storage space, Google Calendar, and many other useful features of Google Apps for Education. Log in to your account at https://mail.utica.edu.
- Access your records online with BannerWeb, including your transcript, schedule, and financial aid.
- Use online learning environments including Engage or Canvas to submit your homework, interact with your classmates, receive updates from your instructor, and more.
- Contact Engage support at 1-866-264-1537, 24 hours a day.
- Contact Canvas support at 1-855-495-9954.
- Contact our Computer Help Desk (315-792-3115, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. EST) for basic questions about online learning and advice on fixing computer problems.
- Access our Library Databases for research and so much more.
Software and Hardware Requirements
As an online learner, you’ll need regular access to an internet-connected computer—your own or a public access one, such as at your local library. If possible, we recommend purchasing a laptop to increase your flexibility to learn on the go.
For the highest quality and most reliable learning experience, we recommend broadband internet access (LAN/Cable/DSL). Find an internet provider in your area.
|Operating System||Mac OS X 10.7 and newer||Windows 7, 8, or 10|
|Recommended Browsers||The newest possible version of Firefox, Chrome, or Safari||The newest possible of Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer|
Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) 2010 or higher. All Utica College students receive free access to Office.
Most courses will require some form of word processing software, such as Microsoft Word (included in Microsoft Office), Google Drive, or Apple Pages. Depending on your course, you might need to use your browser to interact on an online discussion board.
Other courses might require video conferencing software, such as Skype, as well as the digital or audio recording capabilities of a digital camera, smartphone camera or computer camera.
Please contact a program manager at 1-866-295-3106 for full technology requirements.
What About My Smartphone or Tablet?
While you can access your course materials through your smartphone or tablet, we don’t recommend using only mobile devices for your online studies.
Your devices may not be 100 percent compatible with Utica College’s online student experience and might not be as reliable for more technologically demanding courses. For that reason, we recommend relying on a computer that’s connected to the internet.