Utica College is one of the few colleges in the United States to offer a cutting-edge Cybersecurity degree online and at the undergraduate level. Reports of large cyber breaches at major retail, technology and financial companies continue to permeate the daily news. Statistics show that such crimes—including identity theft, cyber terrorism and cyber espionage—are on the rise1. Clearly, cybersecurity grows more vital with every passing day, and so too does the need for men and women trained in cyber defense methods.
According to labor market analysis by Burning Glass Technologies, a Boston-based analytics firm, there were 238,158 cybersecurity job postings nationally in 2014. The same report found that cybersecurity jobs account for approximately 11% of all IT positions, and that the demand for cybersecurity professionals has grown three times as fast compared to traditional IT positions. In other words, there are tremendous opportunities for cybersecurity professionals—and Utica College can prepare you to take advantage of them.
Utica College's online BS in Cybersecurity degree was developed in connection with the college's respected Center for Identity Management and Information Protection, a research collaborative dedicated to the advancement of data security, identify management, and information sharing. You'll learn innovative approaches and best practices culled from federal agencies and well known multi-national corporations and organizations, such as the FBI, US Secret Service, US Marshals, TransUnion, and Northrop Grumman.
Advantages of our Online Cybersecurity Program
Professionals charged with the protection of computer systems and online data have to keep up with increasingly advanced technology and ever-changing attack and infiltration techniques. Fortunately, Utica College’s online cybersecurity degree program is at the leading edge of cybersecurity training.
Our online BS in Cybersecurity program offers you a unique opportunity to take the most extensive coursework offered in digital forensics and intrusion investigations, cyber operations, fraud investigations, homeland security and emergency management, and information assurance offered in academia built into a convenient and flexible online format. Students can earn their bachelor’s degree part time in approximately three years, though the program can be completed in a shorter time frame by taking more than six credits per semester.
Other program highlights and reasons to earn your online BS in Cybersecurity from Utica College:
- :: Designated a National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE- CD) by the National Security Agency (NSA) and Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
- :: Designated a National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence (CDFAE) by the Defense Cyber Crime Center (DC3)
- :: Respected instructors who are industry-leading experts in the fields of Cybersecurity, Counter-Terrorism/Counter-Espionage, Cyber Forensics and Information Assurance
- :: Four in-demand cybersecurity specializations to customize your education
- :: The development of critical skills for investigators and technologists
- :: A solid focus on writing, critical thinking, mathematics, statistics, and other vital disciplines
Recent changes to the online BS in Cybersecurity curriculum has made it eligible for completion by first-time freshmen, as well as students with some college credit. Admission requirements include:
- :: Completed Online Application
- :: Personal Statement
- :: Letter of Recommendation
- :: Official Transcripts
- - Official final high school transcripts (with graduation date) are required for all transfer students unless you have earned an associate’s degree or higher.
- - If you are entering with an associate's degree or transferring a minimum of 57 credits from a four-year college, your general educational requirements are considered complete.
- :: SAT or ACT for first-time freshmen if you’d like these to be considered
Unlike other schools that offer very broad cybersecurity training, Utica College allows you to focus your degree to better align your education with your career goals and interests. The result? A highly-applicable online cybersecurity degree that will help you stand out among your peers. Utica currently offers specializations in the following in-demand areas of cybersecurity:
Network Forensics and Intrusion Investigation - Combines elements of computer science with computer forensics and vulnerability assessment. Learn to investigate cyber related incidents in a computer network environment. Topics of study include:
- :: Cybersecurity scripting
- :: Computer network investigations
- :: System vulnerability assessment
- :: Network forensics
Information Assurance – Gain an understanding of the wide range of vulnerabilities and threats that affect corporate and government computer networks and be prepared to protect critical information in cyberspace. Topics of study include:
- :: Discrete mathematics
- :: Object-oriented programming
- :: Computer and network security
Cybercrime and Fraud Investigation - Learn the latest techniques used to accumulate data and evidence in prosecuting cybercrimes, such as credit card fraud, intellectual property theft, pedophilia, terrorism, hacking, and more. Topics of study include:
- :: Economic crime theory
- :: White-collar criminology
- :: Applied cryptography
- :: Fraud prevention and detection technologies
Cyber Operations - Learn defensive and offensive tactics, techniques and procedures. Focus on computer programming, as well as operating systems, vulnerability assessment and penetration testing. Topics of study include:
- :: UNIX operating system
- :: Sorting and searching algorithms
- :: Information security programming
Utica College is proud to partner with several leading organizations to offer networking opportunities, discounts on Industry Certifications test prep and exams, and other benefits.
One such relationship is with CompTIA, an IT association that validates technical skills in the areas of networking, server, security, and technology PC repair and support. Through the Utica College partnership, BS in Cybersecurity students are eligible for generous discounts on the CompTIA A+, Security+, Network+ certification exams.
Tools, Tips and Other Resources—Learn More About Cybersecurity
Here are a few more interesting tools, valuable tips and other resources in articles, student blogs, videos, industry links, and press releases to increase your Cybersecurity industry knowledge and assist you as you pursue your education goals.
Get Started Today!
Do you want to become an indispensable part of the IT security industry? Do you want to learn how to fight cybercrime and prevent cyberattacks? Do you want to gain an understanding of operating system design and administration? If so, Utica College’’s online BS in Cybersecurity is for you.
If you have questions about how you can make a difference by protecting the vital information in cyberspace with a Cybersecurity bachelor's degree, Request More Information or call us today at 315.732.2640 or toll-free at 866.295.3106 to speak with a Program Manager.
Our suite of programs in Economic Crime and Justice Studies is formally recognized by the International Association of Law Enforcement Intelligence Analysts (IALEIA) and we are an academic member of the organization.
1Global State of Information Security Survey from PwC, CIO, and CSO: 2015 results by industry.