Prepare for the opportunities of an increasingly complex health care system.
The image of nursing in today’s society will differ considerably from the image of the profession in the future. You’ll discuss upcoming challenges that you see for the nursing profession and analyze ways the profession can change the media’s view of our field.
As you explore nursing trends, you’ll consider how current trends in nursing education impact daily clinical practice and whether these trends are positive or negative for the profession.
You’ll also realize ways you can advance the profession, such as developing a professional stance, becoming a political advocate, and participating in professional organizations.
You’ll review trends regarding the legal principles that underpin the nurse’s obligation to the patient. You’ll examine cultural competency and the ways to provide effective care to different cultural groups who each have a unique set of beliefs about illness.
You’ll also look at current ethical theories and principles and how they have been formed, and you’ll evaluate the impact of electronic medical records, hospital incident command systems, and hand-off reporting.
You’ll also examine how the Institute of Medicine (IOM), Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN), and The Joint Commission drive trends in professional nursing practice, and the impact those organizations have on the field of nursing.
- Review of IOM and BEs Contemporary Professional Nursing
- Trends in Nursing Education
- Taking a Stance
- Legal and Workforce Trends in Professional Nursing
- Cultural, Complementary, and Alternative Trends in Professional Nursing
- Ethics in Current Nursing Practice
- Communication Trends in Professional Nursing
After finding a mentor who agrees to work with you, you’ll complete a Trends in Professional Nursing Project. For this assignment, you’ll choose a current topic that affects nursing practice and create a 20-minute presentation on that trend and its impact on the clinical environment.
- Understand challenges facing health care that impact the delivery of nursing care.
- Analyze current evidence pertaining to various issues related to nursing practice.
- Critically reflect on current scholarship as it applies to personal and professional interests.
- Analyze ethical, legal, and financial influences impacting nursing practice.
- Describe major legislation affecting nursing practice and how nurses can influence the legislative process.
- Demonstrate effective use of communication and research skills in the debate of relevant health care issues.
- Articulate the influence of professional organizations on education, research, and practice.
- Formulate realistic personal and professional goals for the transition from registered nurse to baccalaureate generalist nurse.
- Critique current trends in advanced education and nursing practice.
- Discuss the effect of professional standards on shaping nursing education.